5.12.2006

Lawncare lesson

I've been having trouble with the lawn tractor. When I put gas in it on Monday, anxious to get the back yard mowed, I noted that when I turned the key, nothing at all happened. Well, I thought, the battery needs charging. Twenty-four hours later, I reinstall the battery. Nothing. Well, I thought, the battery needs changing. These things happen. I go to Rural King and get a new battery. Yesterday, I install the battery, then as I'm sitting in the seat ready to turn the key, I note a salient fact:

the mower deck is engaged.

the mower is designed so that it will not start while the blades are engaged.

recharging the battery? unnecessary. New battery? unnecessary.

all that mower trouble? it was all in my head, as in, in my inability to remember how to operate a lawn mower. sigh.

Oh, and then: I managed to kill a baby bird while mowing.

No comments: