5.10.2006

Now to the real work

Grades have been turned in, so now what? Well, as it turns out, I have three big projects for the summer:

1. the Herbert article
2. proposals and research on Martin Marprelate
3. a mock-up of a handbook for our department

Not to mention the mowing, gardening, playing with The Boy, and so on. I'm also planning a couple of other things for this blog, to give it some focus. First step: take stock of where I've been this year.

The move to West TN has been pleasant, but I'll also admit that it has been challenging. I'm an urban sort, so these wide open spaces, while pleasant, are a new thing for me. I very much enjoy the quiet, and the family loves the space in the yard . . . but there are things about city life that I miss: bookstores, specialty grocery stores, coffee shops, Target, variety.

The job has been most enjoyable. I've found a lot of fulfillment in working with my students, and I respect my colleagues. The challenges of time-management are considerable, and the work is unstinting. I'm also a little handcuffed by curriculum and faculty limitations here. . . some of the things I'd like to do will be major projects to get off the ground. I am prepared to brand my efforts this year a success, but I guess the student perspective will reveal how close my perceptions match those around me.

The biggest challenge for us right now is learning how far one can go on a meager assistant professor's salary. Answer: not far. There are some house-related projects, both outside and in, that we want to get to, but it's looking like the income is going to make that a trick. Thank goodness we only need one car. Speaking of which, the bike is put on hold, as is travel for the summer. We were hoping to make it to the SVHE conference in Chicago in July, but the money's just not there. In that way, it's good that we live where we do. . . there's nowhere to spend any money!

I'm glad for my friends that got academic jobs this year, and I'm distressed for those who didn't. . . we all love this work, but love and ability aren't always enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts there at the end, dude. I did end up getting a post-doc at UNC (one of the original recipients took a job elsewhere).

Good luck with your projects! I'll be doing the same kind of stuff.