12.17.2015

On Reading Books (almost) Too Late

I am in the thick of three books right now (four, if you include the Jack Vance collection I’m reading on my Kindle) . . . two of which I am working through very slowly because they are so incredibly helpful. They make me sad, though, because I wish I had read them years ago:

After Virtue by Alasdair MacIntyre

The Classical Trivium by Marshall McLuhan

The latter one would have made my doctoral thesis 100% better. It contains a wealth of information that would have allowed me to properly situate the arguments I was intuiting but not fully knowing how to explore.

The former one also explains much about what I have been thinking and experiencing; I suppose, like Willard’s book The Divine Conspiracy, it is a volume that is coming along at the time I am ready for it. . . but I mourn the years lost when I might have been so much better off for having tasted its wisdom.


No comments: