1.09.2014

Day One

















My dear machine been idle so long 
Now it's time for another drive
Please can you take me where I wanna go
Though I let you rust
My dear machine--

Among the pitfalls I foresee in a semester away from teaching (the first, I might add, since 1999?):

1. The Errand:  I'm not teaching, and not required to be at the office, so it should be no problem to stop in here . . . stop in there . . . be out for two or three hours . . .

2. The Endurance:  How long has it been since I sat myself down and did serious study for 5-6 hours over the course of a day?  I have grown accustomed to entirely different work rhythms, and need to recover my ability to focus for long periods.

3. Where and When: This is a small town and it is difficult to disappear. There are Time Vampires lurking around who will consume all I have.

4. Confidence Crater:  Am I still capable of doing serious sustained work?

No comments: