5.07.2013

Adventures with Students, Vol. 50




















It's that time of year!  Here are representative comments from this semester's evaluations:

  • "He gives you your money's worth"
  • "Made the course a lot better than expected." (backhanded?)
  • "He is very energetic" (this comment has appeared in scores of evaluations every semester in some form or another)
  • "Needs improvement on storytelling. You go off topic easily." (this is also an oft-repeated critique)
  • "he makes a not so interesting course a little more interesting."  (eh??)
  • "I would [recommend this teacher to another student] if they were willing to risk a B or were willing to work."
  • "I would go easier on essays, grading-wise."
  • "Speaks loudly & clearly so everyone can understand." 
  • "He is kind and open to answering questions, rather than tell you it's a stupid question and move on without answering, as one of my professors did all semester."
On balance, the usual conclusions:  My strengths are the energy and attention I bring to the classroom, and communicating to the students that I'm on their side.  My weaknesses are in my ability to articulate assignment expectations rigorously but clearly, and my tendency to chase rabbits.

And sometimes I get loud.

No comments: