1.24.2013

An anatomy of absurdities, poor Tom's a-cold edition






The picture represents the night-time activities of Senior Kitty in our house. At 1:00 this morning, he started miaowing and then made quite a scuffling racket as he pounced and mauled a mouse. It was not quite dead when we woke up this morning. I have no idea why he has taken up mousing at 10 years of age, but he has. I didn't know he could do it...he hasn't shown hunting aptitude in the past!

I inadvertently heard an earful the other day, and I wish I hadn't. A colleague began complaining to another sitting out in the common room/lounge...a long stream of grievances involving people all over campus. Academics complaining is not exactly unheard-of; but when she began spreading around blame and fault for things that are clearly issues of choice (and the outcomes thereof)...it gets hard to listen to. If we as a group have a besetting fault, the tendency to blame others in the "system" for our own poor outcomes is a strong candidate.

I left not caring if I ever go back.

I went back today. Of course.

I am also having to serve as advisor to a creative writing magazine. Long story. But what has happened is that the two editors--one a poet, a bohemian, an artist; the other an editor, a technocrat, a grinder. Ne'er the twain shall meet. How to respect both women while pushing them to compromise in ways that go against their natural inclinations? Have they had a frank conversation with each other about their differences? Of course not.

No comments: