1.25.2013

Adventures With Students, Vol. 43
















A partial list of the types of students I have observed in my classes and interactions so far:

1.  The Bitchy Girl.  There is one in particular that specializes in exaggerated eye rolls, sighs, and "OMG" expressions.  She tried to charm me when she asked a question about her essay, but it was a barely competent performance. She thinks she is too cool for me.  I'm fine with her to believe that.

2.  The Passive-Aggressive Feminine Bully. I am working with a publication staff, and the three executive staff members have each come to me separately with complaints.  For two of them, it's a complaint that the third basically bullies them. And for the third, it's that the other two don't do things they way they should (she has of course never discussed this problem with them).  The problem is, this has been festering for about a year, so the resentments have sunk deep, twisted roots.

3.   The Lazy Jokester.  Everyone likes to have a good time, and I'm sure glad he is down with that. I am apt to make a few humorous asides myself, so I can hardly complain if others follow the example I've set. I hope that Mister Lazy Jokester finds a more . . . useful . . . way to channel his energy.

4.  The Whovian Girls.  Apparently, since Doctor Who is the big-time nerd badge of honor these days, it is a big deal that I have been watching.  I am tolerant of these things--after all, I do regularly refer to Mel Brooks films, The Princess Bride, Monty Python, Star Wars, Star Trek, The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, Narnia, and other cultural signifiers clearly marking me as one of their tribe.  But I do not care to voice an opinion on whether Tennant or Smith (or Eccleston for that matter) is "better."

5.  The Earnest Guy Who Reminds Me of Me When I Was His Age.

6.  The Reticent But Cool Bearded Guy Who Is Who I Wanted To Be When I Was His Age.

7.  The NTWN Hipster (sad trombone noise)

8.  The Male Athlete Who Bucks The Stereotype.

9.  The Very Intelligent Young Woman Who Will Say Nothing.

10.  The Slightly Unbalanced Guy Who Told Me Today In All Seriousness That He Is A Man of Honor, Like A Knight. In Fact, Like Lancelot, Only He Is Not "Bloody French." 

This last one gets an extra response:



No comments: