4.26.2012

Colleagues, episode 2
























Had a retirement reception for one of my department colleagues this afternoon.  Sparsely attended, of course.  It caused me to wonder about the trajectory of my career:  at the end of it all, is that what it'll amount to?  Some coffee and other beverages, a fruit plate, and mixed nuts? I don't expect to be worshiped or anything, but one likes to think that one's efforts are counting for something significant. Maybe little retirement receptions aren't a good measure of a career well-spent.  On the other hand, she's more than ready to be out of here, so it probably made no difference to her one way or the other.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Having just been through the same thing I have to admit I thought there would be more. I had always thought the retirement celebration would be a great event acknowledging a life and ministry well spent. I had to settle for standing in a reception line with 12 other people. Probably of more significance was a stack of cards from colleagues who shared their appreciation for my efforts. I guess the main thing is to invest your life as well as you can and then when the time comes you will know that it has been a life well spent. Sorry for this long response but this post hit me as something important to respond to.