12.17.2009

Dilbert. The Office. Office Space.

















 Below, part of an email I received yesterday evening (with names, specifics, etc. removed):
this is a busy time, but this is a must do—we are under a federal mandate.  As I explained in the last department meeting (and was discussed in the department minutes) all employees must take the online ADA training and exam. You have been enrolled in a blackboard course to take it (an email came out from Dr. _____ around the first of the month with the instructions).  

Go to the portal and from there to Blackboard.  On the right should be a list of classes you are teaching with blackboard and under that courses you are enrolled in; this course is there.  It will take 10-15 minutes.

The administration is taking this very seriously.  This morning VCAA ____ said that not doing this will result in termination of non-tenured faculty and will have a negative impact on future merit, tenure, and promotion decisions.  Because it is a legal issue to not do it is considered non-compliance with your contract.  I hate to say it but E/MFL had the longest list of non-compliance.

The official deadline is Friday.  If you absolutely swamped, probably no one will say anything as long as it done before the first of the year.   But you need to get it done.

When I read this last night I blew up in a cloud of cursing and throwing things.  Nothing makes me more irritated than make-work.  Nothing makes me more irritated than online make-work.  And for the cherry, we're supposedly being called on the carpet for "non-compliance" even before the due date.  How can one be in non-compliance when the standard for compliance hasn't even come into play yet?

It's a small thing, I know.  But it's that time of year.  I'm doing my duty today, in case you're wondering.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

daaaaang! they're even harshing MY mellow.