11.30.2009

Entropy





















It happens every semester at about this point:  I feel like every class I'm teaching is falling into utter disarray.  All the ambitious plans I had of keeping up with all the paperwork, having every session meticulously planned and annotated, following through on every jot & tittle brought up on the first day:  blown apart like a tower of sand.  You'd think that I would get a grip and somehow learn to handle a whole semester of work, but five years into my career, I'm not there yet.  Instead, it's like it always is:  my energy and effort are fragmented, spread out over lots of projects, lots of relationships, lots of duties.  

Not a complaint, just an observation about my expectations and their relationship to reality.

Good explanation of entropy as a measure of the dispersal of energy here.  Hey, it applies to the end of an academic term better than I thought!

1 comment:

Weslee Hill said...

i would have to assert that none of us are able to all that we set out to do or think is *reasonable* for us to accomplish. And those that say they are are lying. :) For instance, no matter how much I want to have a clean house, it just isn't in the cards with preschoolers--and I am 5 years into that one too. Also, no matter how much I aspire to have all my session notes and therapy plans done right after a session, life happens or entropy sets in and they just don't get done as soon as I hope. As you have reminded me on more than one occasion, it isn't as bad as I see it and I am sure that the same is true in your case. ;)