11.29.2008

loose threads















We went to Sesame Street Live yesterday. It was fun to watch The Little Boy adopt the pose that my mother has described me taking when rapt: eyes wide open, one hand on each leg, ramrod straight back. He didn't miss a thing. I thought Grover looked all wrong--his head was too big. Big Bird, on the other hand, looked just right.

***
To go to Starbucks and not be able to order coffee: makes one feel very much like a loser. The hot chocolate was alright, I suppose. I'd like to know, though, what the difference is between "Hot Chocolate" and "Signature Hot Chocolate." other than 60 cents, I mean.

***
I got crowded out of the bed last night. Apparently, The Little Boy was not satisfied with his trundle bed. Good thing there have been naps these past few days, because nights have certainly not been restful.

It was a wild scene around here with three little boys. Got a little loud at moments, as one might guess.

***
From the department of unfortunate gifts--seen in a sales circular--"The Mangroomer," a do-it-yourself electric back hair shaver. It had a picture of a man using it--a man who clearly never had a bit of back hair in his life.

I suppose there are things it would be nice to receive for Christmas--no actual wants come to mind, however, other than that book on Martin Marprelate. I've got several things I want to give, though.

***
Last week, during my visit with the doctor, I was telling him about how I have always tried to take the surest and most "correct" course of action. He looked at me with a wry grin, and said, "so, you didn't really have to learn many things the hard way." That should be a good thing, shouldn't it? Why does that seem so sad to me?

What I have noticed, in addition to being quite distracted the past ten days or so, is that I am withdrawn, abstracted from myself and from the things going on around me. I observe, note, act as I need to--but I feel like it's all taking place through the wrong end of a telescope.

The last week of classes coming up; it'll be hard for everyone.

***
Tonight's movie, at the request of The Little Boy: Lady & the Tramp. Probably a better show than the Notre Dame - USC game, anyway.

No comments: