2.05.2008

The Last Word on that Super Bowl

Which we enjoyed tremendously, and not just because of that fantastic 3rd down sack-escape-heave-helmet-catch in the waning moments of the game. I told folks who asked that I'd rather the Giants win, because I don't cotton to cheaters or poor sports. I think TMQ, a column I read religiously, sums it up best:
This column has been harsh this season on Belichick, New England management and NFL officialdom. That's not a reflection of my feelings about the Patriots, who are terrific -- it's a reflection of my feelings about cheating. Integrity matters. Neither football nor any other competitive sport will long stay popular or important if spectators cannot be sure whether what they are seeing is real competition or some rigged junk like the erstwhile World Wrestling Federation. We need food and shelter; we don't need sports; we will only care about sports if we know the competition is authentic, fair, and based on high standards of integrity and sportsmanship.

No comments: