1.11.2016

Adventures in Parenting, Vol. 51

There was snow on the ground when the boys woke up yesterday. I had seen it before I went to bed for the night, so it wasn’t all that exciting for me, but it was thrilling for them. I enjoyed very much how excited they got.

Which brought these thoughts to mind, as an antidote for the gloom from last week:

I enjoy Number One Son for his zany sense of humor, his gentle spirit, and his gift for impressions and remembering movie dialogue (not that he can quote all of Mary Poppins or The Sound of Music like his mother, but he’ll get there). When he’s not at the house, it just doesn’t feel quite right.

I enjoy Little Red for his tender heart, his outgoing friendliness to everyone, and his tendency to be a smaller version of his mother. And that husky voice and raucous laugh of his. I am fortunate that he has chosen me to be the recipient of so much affection.

I enjoy Lefty for his sprightly cheerfulness every morning, how he is almost exactly identical to his oldest brother, and how he is an entirely different child when he’s not around his older brothers.

Every day that passes, I remember that they’ll never be this little again. I’ve started taking breaks from what I’m doing when they ask — because I know that each phase of life has its own pleasures. I don’t want to miss these.

No comments: