7.14.2014

Monday Update, tempo edition



In distance training, whether on a bike or in running shoes, there's a thing called a "tempo" workout, wherein you choose a moderately challenging pace and keep it up over a fairly considerable distance.  That's opposed to something like a sprint or interval workout where you vary the speed from quite slow to very fast.  I think a teaching term is much like a tempo workout, and for me, it usually takes me the first 45 minutes of a ride to get comfortable with what I'm doing--just like it took me all of last week to feel comfortable with what I am doing back in the full job.

The Triathlete and I had triumphs of our respective sorts this past weekend; she of course ran a superb race in her triathlon, winning first in her age division and 7th overall of all the women.  And she had so much fun that she has actually had a difficult time returning to normal life with the rest of us regular people.  I, on the other hand, received word that I've had an essay accepted at the 2014 Southeastern Renaissance Conference in Greensboro NC...which means that in early October we will be traveling back to our old stomping grounds for the first time since we moved to NTWN in 2005.  It also means another publication for me, and the start of the productive phase of the sabbatical study I've been doing.

So, although the sabbatical is over, and I've got a tighter schedule than I had just a couple of weeks ago, It seems that things will be okay as I adjust. Though I'm a slow starter, once I get going I do alright.




No comments: