12.17.2013

Looking backward, forward


That ship has sailed, so to speak














I suppose it's the fate of a person who spends a lot of time studying that he should find it hard to inhabit the present.  At the very least, that's true of me.  I have studied for several hours today, and every line I read about the English Reformation makes me wish I had studied more of this stuff back when I had the resources of UNC at my fingertips.  I guess it's a truism that one doesn't know what one should have studied until one is finished with the project at hand--at least when "the project at hand" is a doctoral thesis.

At any rate, I'm glad I have spent the last several years studying this stuff, even if my progress has been far less speedy than I would like.  Until recently I had been hopeful that I would shortly have the opportunity to spend even more time and energy on it.  That does not seem to be the case anymore, alas.  I'll have to continue picking at it . . . though naturally I'll get to do a lot of picking this next six months.

No comments: