4.08.2013

Monday Update, Lessons Learned Edition




















"Open your eyes":  Something clicked this past weekend, and I am not in any better a situation now--but I feel better about where I stand in terms of my attitude and decisions.  I will look for another place, and decide to trust the Providence that supplied the right job and right town at the right time for us.  It is tempting to mistrust my impressions--to resist the hobgoblins of fancy, as it were--but it cannot hurt to do my best at my present work in the trust that I will be given the means to work out my vocation.

"Go! St. Louis":  We visited St. Louis over the weekend--the first time for all of us.  Had a really good time, and I actually loved it.  I loved the city and its architecture, loved the downtown area where the ballpark is, loved taking the children down to the Gateway Arch and letting them run around like hooligans on the lawn directly underneath.  The view across the water--into Illinois--is as ugly as hell, but apparently that's the situation in that state.  The Runner finished her race feeling fresh and happy.  I told the boys to look for her teeth, cause she runs with a mile-wide grin on her face.

"Attack the day like birds of prey":  While in St. Louis we had to step onto the campus of SLU, the home of the Billikens.  It was nice to step on a campus like that and imagine myself in a more urban situation, at a college with a more defined mission and identity than the one I'm at now.  I recognize that no place is perfect, but that doesn't mean it's not time for a change.  Anyway, I got to work today and sprang into the office, into action.  Put in double the energy and good humor.  I think it worked out better.  I've been acting like I'm defeated...time to dish out rather than take the punishment.

"Heyyyy battah battah swiiiing battah":  Number One Son declared, while we were staying at a hotel a stone's throw away from Busch Stadium, that going to a Cardinals baseball game was his life dream.  Well, okay, we can probably manage that.  Never been a Cardinals fan particularly, but I do like going to baseball games.  Speaking of which, it looks like little league games start next Monday.  And word from practice is that Number One Son is not only making contact, but actually getting hits.  Little Red, of course, hit a home run his first tee-ball practice at bat.

No comments: