6.08.2012

"Kind" = ??






I was called "kind" the other day, and while I appreciated the sentiment, I also found myself having an inward dialogue about the worth of that kind of virtue.  Let's face it, "kind" is not something flashy or interesting.  It's not quite as bland as "nice," but it's in that direction.  The thing is, I try to be kind; I understand how important it is when life is so often painful and destructive to people. And if I actually exhibit that quality, isn't that a good thing?

I guess maybe I think it's common--that everyone does their best to be kind, so it's an unexceptional quality?  Or am I perhaps even more vain than that, wanting to have some ultra-significant and unique virtue that almost no one possesses?

What's more, maybe all this introspection is also a symptom of vanity.

No comments: