2.08.2012

In which Piers gets confused
















"My wit is naught: I cannot learn the way."

Based on a couple of recent conversations:

1.  I cannot understand a man who comes home to his wife and children and basically wants to leave his roles as father and husband at the door.  It seems to me that whereas there may be a short term gain in slouching in the recliner with a beer or two or three and watching the ball game, does that help in the long run when the wife is harried and resentful and the children are either scared or indifferent?  Can this help the sex life, or the sense of peace and relaxation?  Does it make for a fun weekend?  I am willing to admit that there have been times--some more severe and long-term than others--that I've been pretty rough to live with (generally when I'm beset by the Black Dog).  These, however, are men who do this as a matter of policy.  By design.  I'll also grant that there are plenty of sides to each story...I just can't get my mind around it.

2.  I cannot understand men who wish to cram their girlfriends/spouses/partners into itty bitty boxes so as better to control them.  This happens in all sorts of ways aside from the obvious abuse:  emotional manipulation; belittling and questioning; constantly pointing out the others' faults; financial or sexual coercion; and so on.  Why would you want to crush the spirit of a person you love, or profess to love?  If you're this insecure/jealous, the problem isn't your partner...it's YOU.  Still, I don't understand how anyone could live with themselves and be like this.

No comments: