3.06.2011

Weekend Update, Little Red birthday eve edition


















The Runner is in Texas tonight, so she can help her family lay Boompaw (Boompa? Boombox?) to rest.  Apparently 103 years were plenty for him.  One hundred and three hard-livin' years, I might add:  digging oil wells in Texas and Latin America, not to mention the grocery business, etc.

We haven't done too poorly for ourselves here, even though the weather outside has been a bit cold.  Both days, the boys went out for a little bit.  Today they decided that they'd add painting to their list of activities, so I had to dig out the tempera paints and the paintbrushes and the paper and some shirts to use as smocks . . . I had three colors to offer them, so they used red, white, and blue.  The result was as one might expect:  a range of purple to pink blotches of color.

I watched an Akira Kurosawa film last night, and felt really virtuous until I realized that I was watching one I'd already seen.  Should have chosen Rashomon over Sanjuro, darn the luck.

Speaking of movies, the boys really enjoyed watching The Lion King 1-1/2 yesterday and today.  It's fun to hear them get tickled at stuff. And then repeat it approximately 28583 times.

I'm distressed by two things: 
1)  I just haven't gotten enough done this weekend. 
2) Apparently, several of my friends and colleagues have decided to become ass-heads for the time being.  It's possible I'm just being a crank, but I've heard and read some incredibly stupid stuff the past couple of days.  I keep stifling my responses, knowing that communicating my scorn is highly unlikely to help matters. 

Little Red's birthday is tomorrow.  We're going to keep that detail on the down low until The Runner can get back.  He won't know the difference. We will, but that's part of the parenting deal.

No comments: