5.27.2010

Ups & Downs


















"We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world"
-Helen Keller

What a crazy couple of weeks it's been.  The start of summer (or, lately, the gap between commencement and the start of the Governor's School term) always throws me for a loop, because the routine is broken; I've got stuff to do in all sorts of areas and find it hard to focus (even more so than usual).  People ask if I'm enjoying my time off, and I just kinda chuckle.  No time off, not when there is Important Scholarship Waiting To Be Done.

Speaking of which:  right now it's back to Thomas Nashe.  Ah, it's like talking to an old friend.

Reading War and Peace is a bit easier and frankly more enjoyable if you can get over the fact that you're reading War and Peace.

Little Red is going to have a ton of freckles by the end of the summer.  He also likes pancakes:




Then there's this:  Big Brother with a Grade Two reader:

2 comments:

Grammie said...

Well, J is a mighty fine reader and to think he is just 5 and figuring out this level 2 words. I loved to watch LR taking out book after book during the process. and I even think I heard T mumbling something in the background. They will all be readers, hopefully!

LR and pancakes. it is the Hill classic game of "SHOW"! He is a pistol!

MOM said...

BTW, I tried to read War and Peace, but it wasn't a great experience! Kept stumbling/mumbling over Russian names. I did, however, enjoy Anna Karenina. I probably skipped over some pages when the prose began to drag out.