10.22.2009

hello, class. I'll be your professor for the remainder of the term.

















A colleague of mine was struck down with two heart attacks yesterday; she is now convalescing in a hospital in Jackson, TN.  Due to her age (she's in her 70's), it's highly doubtful that she'll be back in the classroom this term.

Perhaps impetuously, I volunteered to take over her section of English 270, our "World Lit" course, which is more or less an "excerpts of great books" class.  Assuming the department chair approves, I'll be starting with Plato's Apology on Tuesday, then moving on to Aristotle, Virgil, the Bible, Dante, Boccaccio, etc. . . I'm using her plans from previous terms to provide a rough outline for myself as I plan the remainder of the term. 

My colleagues are impressed:  "oh, you're so kind to take this over."  Well, maybe.  Frankly, though, this is also a course that I've coveted for some time . . . so though this will be labor, it will be a labor of love, to be certain.

1 comment:

mom said...

Sorry about your colleague. Was she at the Saturday event? Anyhow, I can't believe you want yet another set of papers to grade. This is the kind of challenge you love and will do extremely well with great gusto. or something. Good for you. Go for it!