8.06.2008

Um, am I speaking to a human?

Got a phone call yesterday from Honda of America, Inc., to inquire about our experience when we bought the Fit from Darrell Waltrip Honda. I was able to say that we were most pleased (so count this as an endorsement from people who live three hours away from Franklin, TN). The uncanny part of the conversation was, though, that I couldn't tell whether I was talking to a person or a computer. On the one hand, the voice on the other end appeared to be engaged in a conversation with me. On the other, it didn't put words together at all like a person would . . . there were gaps in funny places, and it sounded awfully unctuous at times. I thought about going off-script just to see what the voice would do, but didn't want to prolong the transaction (I'm not the biggest fan of phone calls). So: cyborg? cylon? borg? dominion? vulcan? Keanu Reeves?

Or maybe it was Asimo!

No comments: