7.05.2007

Live Earth

Umm, isn't it just a bit strange to be holding massive rock concerts, which will necessarily involve enormous power and travel expenditures, not to mention pollution, for the sake of an environmental cause? Roger Daltrey said "bollocks" to that, and I'm feeling like I'm with him.

It reminds me of those idiotic NBC spots where celebrities like George Lopez explain to us the finer points of parenting. "Aha! I'd never thought of 'hugging, not slugging' my child, but since a TV comedian says I should try it out, I'll give it a shot!" Why should I give a rotten *@&#$%^ what Keith Urban says about, well, anything?

It's almost as if--call me crazy--these people, like the Prius owners featured in the NYT recently, are all about ostentatious displays of their piety. Now let's see if I can remember any teachings about showing off one's religiousity . . . hmmmm. . . I'll get back to you on that one. But really, it's for a good cause. There's no need for this misanthropic skepticism, is there?

1 comment:

NP said...

Regarding Live Earth, it's worth noting that they focused on having artists play the closest location - so Madonna played in London and whatnot. They did at least consider that issue.