9.05.2006

Sobering Reading for a Tuesday Morning

Link from "Inside Higher Ed". I'm uncomfortable with the writer's talk about "markets," but I think that shows my paleolithic mindset when it comes to this issue. I'm encouraging students to read Plato, the Bible, Homer--meanwhile, the whole idea of the university shifts under my feet. He may overstate the case for the sake of drama, but certainly Shakespeare and Jonson have a hard time penetrating a market of students who (according to their own writing) expect a college degree to grant them workplace skills and higher salaries.

I wonder perhaps if places like my institution and my undergraduate alma mater will eventually use extension and "non-traditional" programs to subsidize the "old" liberal-arts paradigm. One thing I can say in response: I'm not sure that the career path I've taken will be a realistic or desirable option for my son, regardless of his intelligence.

BTW, he was 'reading' large chunks of Hop on Pop from memory the other night. He even said "STOP. You must not hop on pop" in a gruff voice like we use when we're reading it.

No comments: