2.09.2015

"May you live in interesting times"


Even setting aside the general atmosphere of institutional rot at every societal level I can think of--

Even setting aside the specific problems of bureaucratic inertia and strategic drift at my particular university--

Even setting aside personal problems both circumstantial and self-inflicted--

Even setting aside the usual pressures of the academic year--

I could at least pretend to manage.  However, the news that came over the email today, i.e., that my department chair is retiring effective June, is a significant blow.  It means that in addition to the university-wide upheaval, this department will be buffeted by extra winds and rain. I do not begrudge her a well-earned retirement after serving this institution for the bulk of her adult life . . . I just know that it's going to be a difficult task to replace her.

The quote in the title? Its supposed Chinese origin is apparently apocryphal

No comments: