6.05.2007

For Papa












This past Sunday, my father-in-law announced that effective the end of August, he will end his tenure as music minister at First Baptist Church Nashville. We are all happy for him, because after 30 years at this church, he's able to step away on his own terms, as a matter of choice.

He made the announcement at the end of the service, and when he opened by saying "I'm announcing my retirement," an audible gasp rippled through the sanctuary. He spoke evenly of what is coming, of the difficulty of stepping away, of his thankfulness for the years given him at the church. It was, as I might have predicted, a graceful and understated way to make a terribly difficult announcement.

W and I cried as he spoke, and I realized as I looked up at the east window that this church has been my spiritual home for many years now. I know about saying goodbye to important places, so I know about the importance of being thankful for the time I am given. Since I first visited the church in the spring of 1994, I've counted it a blessing to worship there, and I've been proud to be associated with Papa. It's not as if we're never going back, but this past weekend did feel like we were turning a page, making way for a change both painful and good.

He'll be receiving a lot of expressions of thankfulness and admiration, so this one can go in the pile as well. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

But dern, I always wanted to sing in that choir.


No storm can shake my inmost calm
While to that rock I'm clinging
Since Christ is lord of Heav'n and Earth
How can I keep from singing?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting words to what I have been feeling and unable to find words express it!

Anonymous said...

I just showed J the photos on here and asked him what it was he said with a smile "that's Papa's church!" Then he said, "Can I see Papa?"

Anonymous said...

Very cool, when a life profession proves such a gift to others. Something towards which those of us just starting out can aspire . . .

hayumbone said...

How lovely -- both the words and the photos. Randall and I were fortunate to have been able to attend church with y'all once, and participate briefly in this aspect of your lives. I still remember the music as the standout part of the service, glorious and graceful within its surroundings.