5.02.2007

Upon grading 70 british literature survey papers . . .

. . . I wonder, am I just being a stuffy Luddite when I enjoin my students to not use Wikipedia as a paper resource? Am I going to have to hold the line, even though they hear me and then turn around and act as if I haven't said anything?

Heck, I use the dang thing too . . . though in my Herbert article (hopefully soon to be published) I'll be darned if I'll use it as a reference. I guess making the distinction between casual and serious research is still lost on them. It doesn't answer my question, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stand strong, dude. You're not alone.

hayumbone said...

Randall and I have talked about this a lot, and about tangentially related subjects -- what value, place, and function wikis as a whole have in the educational arena. You probably know the guy who started Wikipedia doesn't think it's rigorous enough now and has begun a new wiki with higher standard for entry creation.

I probably wouldn't them use it either, were I still teaching. You don't have the time in a semester to teach your kids the difference you described: casual vs. serious research, and when to pursue their instincts further down a research path with more traditional references.